I owe my humility to my roots and to the way I was raised in my homeland.”
Chairman Imarat Group of Companies
Mr. Akbar is one of the best known and most accomplished entrepreneurs in Pakistan. He is regarded as the pioneer in revolutionizing the Real Estate sector of our country.
His pursuit for sustainable transformation started 22 years back with Hyundai Engineering & Constructions where he was appointed to various mega projects including Chashma Hydro-Power Project and Pirkoh Gas Compression Power Plant. Soon After he kicked off his profound career in Real estate by becoming certified financial advisor for Douglas Aleen UK. Mr. Akbar’s quest to become a leading voice in shaping public policy lead him to pursue his Msc in Public policy from Queen Mary University of London. He further holds a distinction in Masters of Philosophy, International Relations and Affairs from University of Cambridge.
After establishing multiple businesses in the UK and building a strong business acumen in line with his ultimate vison to reform Pakistan he was now all set to make it a reality. With his return he was determined to reform RE Policies, incorporate technology & streamline the RE Structure of Pakistan to eliminate the mal practices in this area.
Akbar’s contributions to Pakistan’s RE industry are an embodiment of his #Vision2030, created under the umbrella of the Iqbal Institute of Policy Studies (IIPS), which reflects his ambitions for a prosperous Pakistan. IIPS along with Graana Innovation Lab has been set-up at the National University of Science & Technology (NUST) in Islamabad, which is partnering with the group on a number of initiatives, and helping to bridge the gap between industry and academia in a meaningful progression.
Under Akbar’s leadership, the Imarat Group has achieved remarkable milestones in the short span of five years, which include:
• Launching Pakistan’s first online Real Estate Marketplace – Graana.com
• Creating over 1,000 jobs and expanding to create more
• Collaborating to attract investment from a renowned Turkish Group
• Partnering with Marriott International to introduce two hotel brands, Courtyard by Marriott and Residence Inn by Marriott, for the first time in Pakistan
• Launching the first-ever real estate certification program in Pakistan, with NUST collaboration
The key tenets of Shafiq’s vision are:
• Inclusive policymaking
• Digital nationwide mapping of all the planned areas of Pakistan
• Economic inclusion for a successful transformation of the RE sector
Akbar’s broader vision will be realized by bringing 100+ investment projects to Pakistan across a spectrum of sectors including real estate, tourism, arts and culture, energy, technology, and more. All of this will be done by working closely with the Government of Pakistan, the media, academia and various international, industrial and economic partners.